“Add People” Has Changed
The “Add People” process in Canvas has changed as of Saturday, February 18th. Please email your questions about these changes to email@example.com.
Please note: Some schools have opted to disable the ability to add users to Canvas sites. If you notice that the “People” area in your Canvas site looks different from the following images, then it’s possible your school has limited or completely disabled your ability to add users to a Canvas site. If you are using Canvas for a course offered through one of these schools, then the following information does not apply. Please contact your Local Support Provider (LSP) if you have any questions.
If you have the ability to add people to a Canvas site, here’s what you need to know about these changes:
- New Instructions for Adding People to Your Canvas Site
- “Click to add a name” Feature Turned off at Penn
New Instructions for Adding People to Your Canvas Site
These instructions only apply if you can add people to a Canvas site.
Please use these instructions to add users to your Canvas site after February 18th.
1. Log into canvas.upenn.edu with your PennKey username and password, open a Canvas site, and click on People.
2. Click +People.
3. Select “PennKey” to add users with their PennKey usernames or “Penn ID” to add users with their Penn ID numbers.
Important: Adding users with the “Email Address” option is not recommended since email addresses aren’t persistent identifiers for users in Canvas (a user can have multiple email addresses, and the one you have for them might not be associated with their Canvas account). PennKeys and Penn ID numbers are more persistent identifiers since users can only have one of each.
4. Enter the PennKeys or Penn ID numbers for each person you want to add to your Canvas site. Separate each PennKey or Penn ID number using commas. The changes to the “Add People” process now require that you separate each person’s PennKey or Penn ID with commas; previously, you did not have to use commas when adding multiple people at once to a Canvas sites. Also, please note you can only enter characters on a single line.
5. Select the user role.
6. If applicable, select the course section to which you want to add the users and, if desired, enable the “Can interact with users in their section only” setting.
7. Click Next.
8. Click Add People when the window refreshes and you see “The following users are ready to be added to the course” near the top of the window along with the names of the people whose PennKeys or Penn ID numbers you’ve added.
9. After you click Add Users, the “People” page refreshes and lists the people you have added. If “pending” appears next to their name, it means that have not yet accepted the invitation to your Canvas site.
“Click to add a name” Feature Turned off at Penn
If you attempt to add a user to your site who does not have a Canvas account, you will see this message: “We were unable to find matches below. Select any you would like to create as new users. Unselected will be skipped at this time.”
Please note that the “Click to add name” feature has been turned off for the University of Pennsylvania. If you click the link Click to add a name and try creating a Canvas account for someone, you will see this message: “We were unable to find matches below.”
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are trying to add someone to your Canvas site who does not have a Canvas account. Please note that a user must have a PennKey to obtain a Canvas account and that each request to create a Canvas account and/or to add a user to a Canvas site sent to email@example.com is reviewed on a case-by-case basis.