The Feature Highlights series shares information about neat and useful things you can do with Canvas features. Please email Courseware Support at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the features discussed in this series.
Why Would I Want a Canvas Profile?
Setting up a Canvas profile lets you share personal information with other users in your Canvas courses.
All Canvas users have profiles, but not all users choose to add information to them. Filling out a Canvas profile is optional, so you can leave yours blank if you want.
If you are a student who decides to add information to your Canvas profile, then you should consider the type of persona you wish to convey and carefully choose the information you will share. Please note that your instructors and TAs can see your profile, so it’s a best practice to use discretion and present yourself well. The University of Pennsylvania’s Career Services’ Developing Your Personal Brand Online has advice on how to cultivate a professional online presence that you can consult.
What Type of Information Can I Share in My Canvas Profile?
- Profile Picture: Upload a picture, take a picture, or use Gravatar
- Bio: Share information about yourself and your academic interests
- Contact Methods: Ways people can contact you outside Canvas
- Links: Hyperlinks to web content you’ve created or that’s connect to you in some way (e.g., you blog)
How Do I Edit My Canvas Profile?
You can edit Your Canvas profile by following these instructions:
- How do I edit my profile in my user account as an instructor?
- How do I edit my profile in my user account as a student?
Who Can See My Canvas Profile?
Any Canvas user who’s in the same Canvas site as you can see your profile if they click on your name whenever they see it.
If you have any questions, please contact Courseware Support at email@example.com.